Wednesday, August 18, 2010

sorry sir, your tea is on the table over there

so after some very long shifts (read: lots of half-hourly obs, pad changes, making tea and coffee for family members...) and just as many NELUSCS*, I finally got to see for myself the proverbial low-risk multiparous woman's delivery.

it was like this: i was returning from the pantry and trying to figure out how to balance my tray on one knee while shifting enough of my body weight onto the door to open it. (it's tricky when it's 0530hrs and you're half asleep). when i finally succeeded, the midwife looked up from a rather large pool of amniotic fluid and said, 'i think you should put a pair of gloves on'. so i hurriedly put down the tray, grabbed the delivery trolley and some sterile gloves, removed my stethoscope from around my neck and placed it on the table (it promptly fell into the dustbin), and had my hands ready.

earlier last night (~0100hrs) i'd scrubbed in for a CS complicated by uterine rupture. so all in all, it was a very interesting night.

now i feel like my O&G rotation is complete, and i can move on. which is just as well, since there's only 1.5 weeks of it left.

random MSN conversation
陈佩珊 says:
i enjoyed O&G
it was fun
dont love it like i loved surg tho
James says:
you like it, but you dont love it
in a way
you might say
that you've friendzoned it

*non-elective lower uterine segment caesaerean section

No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is littered with unfinished visions, and is not life such a vision? And is not the finishing of any thing a little death?

--Darksong