Sunday, September 18, 2011

Last week in the country!

In one week, I'll be on a bus bound for home. I can't wait. As lovely as it is being surrounded by the ocean, I cannot explain the compelling force I feel every morning as I drive to my tutorials and see the TransWA busses at the terminal.

Yesterday was a bit of a housewife day for me- grocery shopping, cooking, baking, dishwashing, ironing. I have learnt that being a housewife requires a lot of frontal lobe processing. Really, there is an awful lot of executive planning going on- and if not, then there is an awful lot of food wastage. Fortunately, it has been a stepwise learning process from my elective experience, and I am managing to cope reasonably well.

{rice for dinner}


{cake for dessert}

I also had about 2 minutes' worth of fishing before my hook and sinker broke off and that was the end of it. I was quite upset and I imagine I must have had a very dark expression on my face, but I was slightly cheered by the friendly country folk who said things like, "you look very professional, did you catch anything?" and "did you leave any fish for me?". It's a nice change from "welcome to Australia", and "you speak beautiful English".

The folk here are very friendly. And the nurses are wonderful. I know I've already said this, but I am definitely going to miss having the beach at my doorstep- nice, quiet, small, and absolutely lovely. It has that special quality of your local kopitiam- knowing that your house is just a stone's throw away.

Of course there's always the flipside; not being able to ring a friend and ask them to come over and hang out. It's something that I hardly ever do, but it's nice to have the option. Either way, that's one thing I'll miss- the comfort of proximity.

Verse of the day- 2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is littered with unfinished visions, and is not life such a vision? And is not the finishing of any thing a little death?

--Darksong