Friday, September 2, 2011

rural!

Hello from rural Australia! I'm going to be living in the country for the next four weeks as part of my rural rotation.

It's been surprisingly good (and busy!) so far. My parents drove down behind the bus (not directly) to settle me in, so I've been trying to spend as much time with them as possible. This involves trying to surreptitiously not be present at the practice.

Unfortunately, today TWO GPs requested my phone number. I knew this day could not be avoided indefinitely.

{me & my parents at a rather overrated little beach}

Most people are very friendly here. I spent the day with my allocated GP today. He is a most eccentric character, and I very much like him. Examples:
- he tries to sneak up from behind me when I call to ask where he is
- he takes me on home visits in his land rover, and when I point out rather primly that this is barbaric and I am inappropriately dressed in stockings and a pencil skirt, he pats a handle and says "there's the monkey bar, go on, up you go"
- he has a dingo (who followed us for the home visit)
- he answers his phone with "batman speaking", often followed by "I'm in the batmobile"
- he teaches, and also lets me get my hands dirty (PR and curette today, with the promise of future proctoscopy)

So... that's it in brief. I haven't really returned home yet so I'm not sure how I'll feel about having a big, empty home all to myself. More on that later, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is littered with unfinished visions, and is not life such a vision? And is not the finishing of any thing a little death?

--Darksong