Monday, August 29, 2011

regression

my earliest memory of truancy would be when i was in kindergarten. my parents were pretty lenient with us and if i was sound asleep, they wouldn't wake me to go to school. so one time, i feigned sleep for the entire week. on monday of the following week, my mother decided to call my bluff and insisted i go to school.

this morning, i lay in bed imagining myself 24 hours ahead of time. i imagined arriving in the evening, being cold, and having nothing to eat and no form of entertainment. suddenly, being in a beautiful, isolated town, and studying free from the distractions of the city seemed a lot less appealing than i had formerly imagined. i started recalling how lonely/bored i was in the evenings in the UK, which is much more densely populated than where i'm heading.

at this point, mum burst into the room. *flashback to seventeen years ago*
mum: "Olivia! still haven't wake up ah?"
i opened my eyes.
mum: "Oh I see, you're pretending to sleep only."
me: "I'm enjoying my blanket. And my queen sized bed. I'm going to miss my bed."
mum started laughing. "See la! You always so gung ho. Then last minute chicken out."

so, so true. although to be fair, i never really backed out re: Austria, which was probably my most challenging trip, and undertaken when i was relatively young. i did end up having season two of the OC to save me. and E3.50 tickets to see performances at the vienna opera house. that is really quite unbeatable. i don't think there will be anything like that where i'm heading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is littered with unfinished visions, and is not life such a vision? And is not the finishing of any thing a little death?

--Darksong