Wednesday, October 26, 2011

generation gap

I woke up totally dreading the multitude of errands I had to run today. Cold, rainy weather should be reserved for sleeping in, not for collecting visas, meeting professors, and entertaining relatives.

I cheered myself up by reflecting on some amusing conversations I've had with three gentlemen over the past month or so.

Conversation number 1, pre-breakfast tutorial:

me: so, dr H, have you ever heard of pokemon*?
consultant: pokemon... ah yes, I think I read about them in the paper the other day.
me: so what are they?
consultant: it's some creature that's being chased by ghosts
me: err... no. i think you mean pac man.

Conversation number 2, online conversation with dad:

me: haha ok. i might do that
dad: ok. do what you think is best.
me: ok cool np
me: (np= no problem)
dad: thanks for the explaination! I'm going to take a shower then hit the books.

Conversation number 3, meeting with prof:

Prof: sorry I'm late, I was caught up in a meeting...
Me: oh no that's fine! I was just updating my diary anyway
Prof: that's a physical diary; a paper diary
Me: (cheerfully) That's right! I'm old school. At least if anyone releases a huge electromagnetic pulse like in the Matrix, I'll still know when my appointments are.
Prof: tt could also be a Farenheit 451 situation
Me: erm, not sure, I haven't watched that movie
Prof: it's a society where they burn all the books instead
Me: er, oh, haha... yeah well I suppose there's always that alternative

Finally, I have just realised that Casting Crowns played at this year's Hillsong convention. I'm totally devastated that I missed it.

Looks like I'll be needing more amusing conversations to cheer me up.

*speaking of pokemon, I think Sherbet is secretly a pokemon. The only word she knows how to say is her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is littered with unfinished visions, and is not life such a vision? And is not the finishing of any thing a little death?

--Darksong