Wednesday, July 24, 2013

things I learnt about interview technique

So, I've been told that I'm due another blog post. I should really be working on my rotation case presentation for this coming monday, so today's post will be a little filler that I've been thinking about- the three most important things I've learnt about how to attend a job interview.

1. Pray

In keeping with my decision to submit to God, this includes praying for direction, for wisdom, for God's favour. Praying as Jesus did, in a way that seeks God's sovereignty "...yet not my will, but yours be done" (Luke 22 v42, NIV).

2. Be prepared

Do your research- about the company, about the job, about what questions you will be asked. You may be a quick thinker, but I find it much easier to return a smooth answer to a question that's been anticipated. Know the questions that your interviewers love asking. If you can, find out who's interviewing you and read about their interests (I'm referring to professional profiles, not FB stalking).

3. Wear a suit

Sounds like a no-brainer, but I met a couple of people at my interviews who didn't wear suits. Of course, this is dependent on what job you're applying for. I would never wear a suit to work, but it doesn't hurt to over dress- it shows your interviewer that you're serious about wanting that job! And everyone else is probably going to be wearing a suit, so why disadvantage yourself?
P.S. I also borrowed some of my sister's spiral pins and put my hair into a bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is littered with unfinished visions, and is not life such a vision? And is not the finishing of any thing a little death?

--Darksong