Friday, December 19, 2008

the first snows

So I got my wish for snow, but not when I was expecting it. You see, when I first arrived in Austria I had to wear something like five layers before I could leave the apartment. Since then, I have been attempting to train myself to tolerate the cold. I have been trying to master level 3 (layers) for awhile now, and thought that I would practice today.

Well you can guess what happened. It snowed. Some Austrians said it wasn’t really snow (something in between rain and snow), but it’s still snow to me. Anf of course today had to be the day the interns asked me to join them for some punsch at the old AKH christmas markets. So boldly we went, and it was rather tolerable (thank you, training!)- at first. At 7:15pm however, we found ourselves braving what felt like a blizzard and gale force winds. And the whole time I was wondering if I was going to get frostbite, or worse, end up like the little match girl.

Obviously I survived to tell the tale, but even now my toe is numb. I have no idea when (or if) sensation will return but I would very much like for it to.

1 comment:

  1. I'm up to level 2 =P
    But all i get is the horizontal wind/rain. It's less exciting than snow...
    Keep practicing. I've found a pint of Guiness can keep you warm (ingested, not carried)

    ReplyDelete

The world is littered with unfinished visions, and is not life such a vision? And is not the finishing of any thing a little death?

--Darksong