Thursday, December 4, 2008

the travel bug

I do not recommend contracting gastroenteritis on the dawn of 24 hours of non-stop travel. It is not a pleasant experience. Fortunately, the SQ flight attendants were absolutely wonderful and caring, and I was treated to a never-ending supply of peppermint tea and warm water. I stopped having to ask after about my 5th request for warm water.



Frankfurt airport was not as easy to navigate as I’d imagined. Perhaps it was my semi-conscious state (although I did try to be “seng mok”), but I easily bypassed the airport train station.



Whoever wrote all those Wikipedia articles on Frankfurt airport being ideal for travellers must have been joking, or had only backpackers in mind. I had barely eaten in over 24 hours, and although I packed light (yes, I really did) several times I was thwarted by the lack of escalators. Fortunately, Germans and Austrians are very kind people, and many men and women assisted me with the luggage/stairs issue.

Greetings from Vienna! Here is a photo of my host's apartment:

Edit: I did make it to the supermarket, and to the internet café, which just goes to show you that even navigational bimbos like myself are capable of remembering directions, if the situation is dire enough.

Quirky Viennese fact: Pedestrians have to watch the traffic lights at zebra crossings.

1 comment:

  1. 'navigational bimbos' - necessity is the mother of all invention, as they say =)

    Nice apartment. It's furnished!

    ReplyDelete

The world is littered with unfinished visions, and is not life such a vision? And is not the finishing of any thing a little death?

--Darksong