Monday, June 7, 2010

car woes

over the past week, my car has been making strange electronic noises that do not obey a consistent pattern. the first time it happened, i had a mini panic attack, and my thoughts very rapidly oscillated between:

1. Oh God, please don't let me die (repeat, double time and repeat)
2. Isn't there a "check the 'check engine' light" light? - Sheldon Cooper, Big Bang Theory (S2E5)
3. Random images of exploding cars from various tv/movie scenes

based on the electronic nature of the sounds, the lack of any specific symbols on my dashboard, and the previous history of a temperamental reverse sensor system, i decided to ignore the sounds. we had sensors installed when we bought the car. they have never actually worked, even after repeated visits back to the dealers. so it seemed like a valid explanation to me.

it just so happened that last night, A and i were going to meet J at the Ellington, and decided to meet first at a nearby street and then proceed together from there. when i sat in her car, i realised that my car's left set of lights were not lit. and thus, the car mystery was finally solved.

it turns out that the left indicator is broken, as are the brake lights. i have no idea why this would happen, given that my car has not sustained any external physical forces. it is with some irony that i recall C's words to me the last time* my car decided to break down on me: "it could have been worse, it could have been your indicators that were broken." well, i was willing to be optimistic then but i now know first hand which was worse. although i would've preferred not to find out this way.

mum is kind of annoyed, she says Candice is definitely going to get a Japanese car when she gets her licence. my brother agrees. but i sort of fondly regard my car as an errant child- just when i'm about to get an opportunity to relax, it throws a tantrum. which does pose a problem for me- do i now have to cancel all of my holiday engagements? hmmm.

*spark plugs; 20-30km/h at passive rights and terrible acceleration along Thomas Rd. i greatly admire the gentleman who patiently drove behind me for the vast majority of that traffic light dotted stretch of road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is littered with unfinished visions, and is not life such a vision? And is not the finishing of any thing a little death?

--Darksong