Thursday, May 6, 2010

taking the highway

so after nearly six weeks, i've realised that my initial impression was right- i do live very far away from fremantle. very far, as in thirty minutes' drive away, which is then compounded in my very stoned/tired brain at the end of a long day at the hospital. (or at the end of three hours of clinic, which is sufficient to achieve the same effect).

it is at those times that i have of getting back somewhat this tendency to drive slightly over the speed limit (60km/h) in the hope that i may sooner receive the therapeutic benefits of arriving home and plonking my bag (+ all of its contents) on the floor. i imagine swinging a water hammer would achieve the same effect.

a couple of weeks ago i attended this post-easter camp youth service. we were challenged to be discipled- in all aspects of our lives. to cut a long story short, when i decided to respect the speed limit, i began to notice something. quite often the cars that were overtaking me, would end up immediately in front of me at a red light. or they would cut out of my lane and then end up waiting behind somebody who was turning.

the other day, i got quite attached to this particular p-plater (red P's) who repeatedly overtook me because he kept getting stuck behind turning cars. we ended up traveling quite far down stirling highway together! for the twilight fans, he was also driving a volvo ;)

it got me thinking about the whole journey versus destination thing. we traveled the same length of stirling highway together, in the same amount of time, but in totally different ways. and in spite of my admiration that he can drive well enough to cut in/swerve out/speed up/brake suddenly, what did any of that achieve for him?

in any case, it confirmed my suspicions that no matter what, it is impossible for me to make it home in 20 minutes. not even if i could drive like a teenage guy. but that's okay, because tomorrow is my last day at fremantle. YAY! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is littered with unfinished visions, and is not life such a vision? And is not the finishing of any thing a little death?

--Darksong