Sunday, January 30, 2011

exploring the surrounding areas

i've only really been talking about my little excursions, so this is turning into a bit of a weekend blog. but i assure you i am still on my elective, and going to hospital monday-friday. just that there's no reason to discuss anything about my daily living because you're all already on my elective email list (if not, shoot me an email and i'll add you).

today kiran and i hired some bicycles and cycled to a nearly village? suburb? called grantchester. we went to the orchard, which supposedly has some amazing scones. i thought they were alright. what excited me was that virginia woolf used to go there for tea, as did maynard keynes and a whole bunch of other famous people who were prominent figures in my high school education.

{sign from the Grantchester Meadows entrance}

We then hopped onto a train bound for Ely, and walked around the town. It was, as promised, quite lovely. And the cathedral was amazing. I think definitely one of my favourites so far. This is kind of cliche, but I also really like Notre Dame.

{Ely cathedral}

We went home and killed some time, then I tried out Zubeida's carbonara recipe. She bought the ingredients and was planning on teaching me, but we never got around to it, and the ingredients were reaching their due date. So before she left for the weekend, she verbally talked me through it. Of course, I got all of the instructions muddled up, and got all the quantities wrong. Kiran has been very encouraging, and tells me it tasted fine, but was lacking in salt. I thought it was bland, too. Then I realised that I'd forgotten to add cheese. Whoops.

{The final product}

No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is littered with unfinished visions, and is not life such a vision? And is not the finishing of any thing a little death?

--Darksong